Project plan: Having fun with science
The project aims to:
- Cultivate students’ interest and curiosity in science, support them in building their knowledge about basic science concepts, and make them active agents of their learning.
- Develop students’ creativity and critical thinking.
- Engage students into using digital tools for learning and communicating and help them acquire experience in blogging.
- Sustain an online community of learners who meet, exchange experiences, and interact online.
In this project students from partner schools will be introduced to several science concepts through simple and easy to do experiments. Every month partner schools will discuss about the fore coming experiment and decide which ones will be performed and the tasks that each partner school has to accomplish. In general, there would be 4 tasks for each experiment that schools would have to undertake: presentation of underlying theory and expected results, presentation of the effects of the experiment in society (i.e. which products are based on the results of theory/experiment), experiment conduction, and development of a summative questionnaire. Final products from every task will be uploaded on the collaborative blog of the project as well as some thought provoking questions concerning the task and the experiment. Students from each school will have the opportunity to answer those questions online and discuss the results of each task. What is more, students will have the opportunity to check the knowledge they acquired by answering the summative questionnaire. The results of the questionnaire would also help teachers to monitor students’ knowledge and the effectiveness of the project.
- 1st month: Development of the blog, students’ introductions, short presentation of a number of experiments from teachers, online discussion regarding each experiment, poll to decide which experiment would be conducted next month, partner schools jointly decide which task each school would undertake.
- 2nd month: Development of presentations, presentation upload on the collaborative blog, supporting students’ discussions as regards the experiment, sharing summative questionnaire on the blog and encouraging students to complete it.
- 3rd-5th month: Same activities with the 2nd month (with different experiments of course)
- 6th month: students vote their favorite/most interesting experiment and create an online poster about this experiment, partner schools jointly develop a booklet with photos and instructions on how to perform the experiments, each school contribute a short video about the experiments
- short video with photos from all experiments;
- a booklet with photos and instructions on how to perform the experiments;
- a poster with the most interesting experiment